HDFC Infinia Credit Card is perhaps the most talked-about credit card in India, and yet surprisingly, I hadn’t written a dedicated review for it on my blog. So, I decided to rectify that and share my thoughts on it. Additionally, with the emergence of Axis Magnus and some recent devaluations of HDFC Infinia, it’s important to assess where this once-favourite credit card now stands.
So, what does HDFC Infinia offer?
Fees: HDFC Infinia has a joining/annual fee of Rs. 12,500 plus taxes, which can be waived off by spending Rs. 10 lakhs.
Rewards and Benefits:
- HDFC Infinia offers a base reward rate of 3.3% (5 reward points for every Rs. 150 spent, with a value of 1 RP = INR 1). However, there are no reward points given for fuel, wallet load, and EMI spends.
- There is an accelerated reward rate of 3x-10x reward points on HDFC SmartBuy, which can translate to a reward rate of 9.9%-33.3%. However, the SmartBuy reward points accrual has monthly and daily caps, which may limit the reward rate.
- Additionally, there is a rent payment reward point capping at 2000 RPs per month, which means a maximum spend of approximately Rs. 60,600 per month. Starting in January 2023, rent payments will not receive any reward points.
- Other benefits of HDFC Infinia include a 1+1 buffet dinner at selected ITC hotels, where you can book a stay for 3-nights and pay for two.
- Also, there is unlimited domestic and international lounge access for primary and add-on cardholders.
Eligibility criteria for HDFC Infinia Credit Card
HDFC Bank’s official stance is that HDFC Infinia is an invite-only credit card. However, some people have received this card by simply requesting it, and during the credit card issuance ban on HDFC Bank (2020-2022), the bank provided HDFC Infinia to many customers as an upgrade.
The eligibility criteria are somewhat unclear, but based on information gathered from the internet, customer care, and social media sites, you need to meet at least one of the following to be eligible for this card:
- Monthly take-home salary of 3 lakhs or more
- Existing HDFC credit card with a limit of 8-10 lakhs and last 6 months spends of 7-8 lakhs.
- The number of relationships with the bank, i.e., the number of loan accounts, balance in SA/CA/TD account, etc.
- Good rapport with your RM or branch manager.
Positives of HDFC Infinia Credit Card
HDFC Infinia has several positive aspects, such as the highest base reward rate in the industry, unlimited lounge access both within India and outside, and an accelerated reward rate on HDFC SmartBuy.
On Smartbuy, you can get up to a 33.3% reward rate on hotels, a 16.5% reward rate on flights and buses, and a nearly 10% reward rate on train ticket bookings on IRCTC. Additionally, you can purchase gift vouchers from various retailers, which offer a 16.5% reward rate.
These vouchers can be used for many daily purchases, including Amazon, Flipkart, Croma, Vijay Sales, Tata Cliq, Reliance Smart, BigBasket, Blinkit, Swiggy, Zomato, Ola, and more.
Accelerated Reward Rate on SmartBuy: A Great Advantage
One of the key benefits of the HDFC Infinia credit card is its accelerated reward rate on the HDFC SmartBuy portal. With this card, you can earn 3-10x reward points for every transaction you make on SmartBuy. This feature is particularly useful if you’re a frequent traveler, as booking hotels on SmartBuy can give you a 33.3% reward rate, while flight and bus bookings will give you a 16.5% reward rate.
Even train ticket bookings on IRCTC will give you a nearly 10% reward rate. Additionally, buying gift vouchers on SmartBuy gives you a 16.5% reward rate, which you can use for a variety of daily purchases from popular brands like Amazon, Flipkart, Croma, Vijay Sales, Tata Cliq, Reliance Smart, BigBasket, Blinkit, Swiggy, Zomato, Ola, and many more.
Unlimited Lounge Access: A Great Perk
Another major advantage of the HDFC Infinia credit card is its unlimited lounge access feature. This card offers unlimited lounge access both within India and outside, making it an excellent choice for frequent travelers. Moreover, this benefit extends to all add-on cardholders, which means that you can share this perk with your family and friends.
Low Forex Markup: A Big Savings Opportunity
HDFC Infinia also offers a low forex markup of 2%, which is a significant advantage for people who frequently travel abroad. While some credit and debit cards offer 0% forex markup, the HDFC Infinia’s reward rate of 3.3% can more than make up for the 2.36% (2% +GST) forex markup.
In fact, you can still earn a nearly 1% reward rate on foreign spending, and if you enroll in HDFC’s Global Value Program, you can get a ~1.95% reward rate in the form of cashback.
1+1 Buffet and Free Hotel Night: Big Savings on Special Occasions
Another great advantage of the HDFC Infinia credit card is its 1+1 buffet offer in selected ITC hotels. This offer is available for weekend buffets, but it is now being extended to weekday buffets until December 31, 2022.
You can redeem this offer every month, and kids under 6 can dine for free. Additionally, you can book from a list of ITC hotels where you can stay for 3 nights but pay only for 2 nights, with breakfast included in the offer.
This offer can be used if you’re planning a vacation to popular destinations like Goa, Andaman, and major Indian cities.
Negatives of HDFC Infinia Credit Card
While the HDFC Infinia credit card has many benefits, it also has a few drawbacks that you should be aware of before you apply for it.
RP Redemption Limit of 70%: A Restrictive Feature
One of the drawbacks of the HDFC Infinia credit card is its RP redemption limit of 70%. This means that only 70% of the booking amount can be set off against points when redeeming on SmartBuy, and the rest needs to be paid by card. While this may not matter to most cardholders, it can leave some feeling short-changed.